Medicines management is about helping health professionals and patients make the right treatment choices. This is an evidence based approach to product choices which balances the safety, tolerability, effectiveness, price and simplicity of treatments. Doctors, pharmacists, nurses and other health professionals all do some medicines management as part of their day-to-day work. It's a particularly large part of a pharmacist's job.
The list below gives you some examples of the types of things which come under "medicines management" - there are many more!
- Giving health professionals unbiased information on new and existing drugs
- Supporting practitioners and patients to make best use of medicines
- Helping to avoid harm caused by medicines such as side effects
- Developing local guidelines for managing conditions
- Communicating with hospitals and community pharmacies
- Giving advice on how to store and dispose of medicines safely